Thursday, February 5, 2009

Lunar New Year Part 3: A Look at the Most Important Holiday in Asia

Well, I decided to make my Lunar New Year posts a 3 part event. You've already heard my initial (and not so happy) thoughts and my pre-warning of what to expect. So, as promised, here is my "un"biased description of Lunar New Year:

By far, Lunar New Year is the most important holiday in Asian culture. While the New Year itself is only 1 day, celebrations last for a month. It's actually very similar to the way we celebrate Christmas from Thanksgiving through the real new year. There are tons of parties and celebrations, decorations, gifts, and like every good culture: FOOD! 

I was very shocked, actually, to realize just how much time was taken to celebrate the new year. Some stores began closing as much as a week early, most 2 days early, and probably 98% closed on New Year's eve. If you're ever planning on being in country, make sure you plan ahead! Schools also close in plenty of time for the holidays. Most colleges and universities ended the semester 1-2 weeks prior to the holiday, and schools for children closed around a week before.

During the holiday, almost everyone is traveling. It's tradition that you travel back to your home town to celebrate. This, of course, is so that you can be near your ancestors to sacrifice food and offerings to them so that you will have a lucky year. About a week out I began noticing less people in my apartment complex. Since I live in a fairly big city (although, it's small compared to many), many of those living in my complex left for their hometowns. I actually had to travel ON New Year's day and was worried about the crowds. It was all in vain! Apparently VERY FEW travel on the actual day. From the time I walked in the airport door to the time I sat down at my gate was about 7 minutes!

Once everyone is finished traveling and at their celebration location it's time for the fun and fireworks. Now that I'm a few weeks away from the ordeal I can talk about it alittle nicer, but I promise there were more fireworks than I've ever seen/heard in my life combined! Within minutes of midnight smoked filled the city and visibility was probably only 20-30 feet. It was insane!!

I must confess that I didn't really celebrate at all because I was busy getting ready to head out of town. Honestly though, it doesn't upset me!! Next year's Lunar New Year is February the 14th. Mark it down now. I'll be traveling if I can help it!!

No comments: