Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Billy...A Must Read

I met Billy just over 2 weeks ago. Billy is a special needs guy that now works in my tutor's shop. I don't have a problem with special needs people, but I will be honest and say that I am mildly uncomfortable around them. I can handle most of them in America, since they speak English and all they really want is a good friend, but the one (I've only met Billy) in this country speaks a foreign language (mostly, story to follow) and I'm just not quite sure how to react...

My first encounter with Billy...
On a rather sunny afternoon, I walked into my tutor's shop for my lesson. There, in the shop, sat Billy. Billy began speaking to me in his language. I froze. This is no different than most encounters with foreign speakers, other than it was escalated by about 10x. I knew there was no way for me to ever understand a single word Billy would say to me. I am really trying to hide my body language, but at this point in my life, it usually wins out. I just looked at my tutor, who translated...a little! 
My Tutor and I began our lesson and Billy wanted to join in. He stood right over me. I can't stand for people to do that. I don't care who you are! Thankfully, my tutor told him to sit down and then encouraged him to go take a nap! I was saved for the most part that day!
The story isn't over yet though! During the break...my favorite part of language learning...Billy came and stood by me and began talking. I just stared. I really had no clue as what to do. Then, out of the blue, Billy started talking to me in English. It was quite the ego boost when I realized this guy who had serious problems could speak both his language and English! 

My second encounter with Billy...
Last Tuesday was a horrible culture shock day! Part of that culture shock can, unfortunately, be linked to Billy. I was in the midst of a really hard lesson where none of the right sounds would come out of my mouth. Billy, out of curiosity of my butchering of the language, came and stood right behind me again. He hunched over so that he could see my workbook, placed his hand on my back, and breathed in my ear, sounding like a dog who has rabies. 
To begin with...as stated earlier, the whole standing right behind me thing is WAY more than I can handle. I realize that most Asians just don't have a bubble, but I as an American with serious sensory issues still have one. I love to be close to the ones I love, but even they need to be at my side or in front, NOT RIGHT OVER MY SHOULDER!! Second of all, one of the first rules of dealing with those with sensory issues (i.e. ME) is NEVER touch them from the back when you the toucher cannot be easily seen. This makes my body want to explode. I normally am a pretty touchy feely guy. I love a good hug. I love being close with my friends. I've always been a cuddler, but the hand on my back thing is NOT ME! My instinct is to arch my back...which unfortunately I did several times during Billy's stint behind me! I literally thought I was going to die. Ok grant it, this blog is filled with hyperbole...if you haven't figured that out by now, you've not really been reading! 

Today's encounter with Billy...
So Billy has been around language for almost everyday now. My tutor and I decided to start having language in the mornings...sans Billy. Billy heard this (about the change, not because of him. I sound mean, but give me just an ounce of credit!) Today was our official start to studying in the morning. I started at 9 and would leave at 12, just before Billy came into work. There are also less people around as a whole in the morning, since I do in fact study in a shop and not a school.
Apparently Billy likes me, and did NOT like the idea of me coming when he was not there. How does one fix that? Well, Billy showed up about 9:45. My tutor, who is probably the nicest guy I've ever met, just stared at Billy for about 1 whole minute before he even opened his mouth. I stared as well. Billy laughed. My tutor asked Billy why he was there, and Billy continued to laugh. I'm fairly confident he told him to go away and come back after 12. Billy just stood there. That's when my tutor and I both noticed Billy's pants. 
Billy's pants were drenched. As a matter of fact, they were so wet that they were leaving a trail and puddling up around Billy's feet. I'm thinking, "Did Billy go swimming? Did he fall in a lake? Did he get caught by someone's hose? Why is he wet?" That's about the time my tutor started yelling. I was in shock, I've never seen my tutor get upset ever. Trust me...I've given him reason!! 
After the yelling, Billy finally trudged off back towards home. We continued what we were doing and my tutor kept eyeing the puddle. He finally had enough. Apparently he's got a little OCD. I know where he's coming from!! My tutor looked at me and said "Break!" only he said it in his language. He motioned for me to stay in the shop, not on the walkway/balcony where Billy had been. He then got a bucket of water and doused the balcony. That's when it hit...BILLY HAD COME AND WET HIS PANTS!!

Life is never dull here! Let me again say, I'm not making fun of Billy at all! My tutor is helping him out a lot and I am very thankful for that. Patience is indeed a virtue, but one I unfortunately lack! These stories are simply to help you laugh at me!  

2 comments:

hugheykristin said...

oh my goodness!

this is my favorite one so far...

Mary Ann McMillan said...

hahahah! i loved it! i didnt think you were making fun of billy at all. But i do get you on the standing behind you ! b/c i hate that as well and i am not a touchy feely person at all! so i understand! thanks for sharing! i loved it and continue to yarp for you are you continue to learn the language