Thursday, February 19, 2009

Death of a Nation: Orange Peel

Well this has been a long week due to several days of unexpected culture shock issues. I have a whole sob story about the really bad day I had Tuesday, but I will spare you those details! I do want to share with you what happened today on the bus...

So, I'm sitting on the bus eating several mandarin oranges. I was by the window, so when I would peel the orange I would throw the peel outside of the window. I would do that in America as well. Orange peel is biodegradable! 

I GOT YELLED AT!! This man sitting across the aisle on the mostly empty bus started yelling and pointing to the trash can and mocking my "throwing out the window" motion! Can you believe that!?!? I have seen THREE (3) people use the trash can on the bus for anything since I've been here and I am one of them! This is a place who's children wear split pants and use the bathroom...both 1 and 2...on the streets. This is a place who's streets/sidewalks are so filthy that it is REQUIRED that you take your shows off inside. This is a place where dirt and muck is EVERYWHERE. This is a place who's smell stays with you for WEEKS upon departure. This is a place who's humans SMELL TERRIBLE at any temperature about 70 for certain and most any other temperature to be honest. This is a place who's public bathrooms are like walking into a sewer! 

But for goodness sake's, throw a peel out the window and certainly the country will cease to exist!

No comments: