Monday, December 1, 2008

Christmas Tree and Holiday Pet Peeve

Friday morning I found a great Christmas tree for just $9 US dollars! It is just a smidgen taller than me and actually looks like one you would buy at Wal-Mart back home. This Christmas shop/ally way was a great find. I paid 152RMB for the tree and enough decorations to fill it up. I didn't have any luck finding good Christmas lights there, but they had alot of other great finds!

Sunday afternoon I went to a little "party" shop close to where I found the tree and found lights very similar to the kind you all get back home. There were white, and the people checked them for me before I left the store and they all worked! They weren't in a box, so I just assumed they were what I wanted. Well, guess what happens when you assume...

The lights are BLINKING lights. My pet peeve...lights that blink, but not at the same time...these don't blink at the same time!! Oh well, they are lights and it's a great tree. It just brings some of the joy of tacky Christmas displays from around town back home!!

I started a new tradition with my tree this year. Some good friends, the Brassarts, told me how they always hang a Coca-Cola can on their tree from when they lived overseas. A good friend of theirs who died had hung one on their tree and they have done it ever since. My can is a Dr. Pepper can, but it's still the same idea! 

Hope you all are enjoying the beginning of the Most Wonderful Time of the Year as much as I am!!

3 comments:

Erin said...

I'm so proud of your Dr. Pepper can. So proud.

Mary Ann McMillan said...

thats awesome Nathan! I think we might do the same...i think that was a good idea when the brassart told that story!..oh and i also feel the same way about lights!...hope you have a great night!

hugheykristin said...

i'm so proud of your christmas tree. and your new tradition. and your victory in the search of dr. pepper!

miss you!