Saturday, October 18, 2008

Cultural Immersion!

Ok, so Friday was an interesting day! Four of us went to a village about 30 minutes outside of the city we are meeting in. You might be pondering how one would get to said village. I myself was pondering that too, and was told by the sweet little lady we went with that we would take a bus. 
We indeed took a bus, some of the way. After about 15 min we got off at one of the stops. This was a little convenient store/tent/structure of some sort. It had drinks, cigarettes, gambling nationals, and of course a meat market. The 4 of us that went were wondering if we would be staying for lunch. That is, until one of the dead chickens became 2 halves of a dead chicken. One went into a plastic bag, and eventually would go into our stomachs. Now, when I say half a chicken I do mean half, all the way from half a head to one chicken foot. (all of which got cooked!!)
So, there we were, 4 white people and 2 nationals waiting to go to the village. Around us were dead carcasses and gambling nations. I assumed we were waiting for the next bus, but oh no! We were waiting for this man who drove a motorcycle/truck/three wheeler thing. The 6 of us borrowed stools from the stand, and up we went into the bed of this automobile-ish thing! It was imperative that we hold on tight. I understood this quickly as we bumped along down the gravel road. At least 10 times my body was thrust into the air at least 6 inches, but for dramatic effect we'll say at least a foot.
It was quite an experience to say the least. The moral of this story I suppose is to expect the unexpected. I didn't have my camera, but a friend did. I will post a pic soon.

2 comments:

Charity said...

Can't wait to see that picture. Sounds like you are having the ride of your life. ;)
-Charity

Charity said...

For some reason I couldn't respond to your last email. (hummmm) Anyway, how did our laowai make it on his little adventure? I can't wait to hear your perspective. I spoke with Dad about it & He knows you are having a great time. Keep all of us over here posted. -Charity